top of page

The agencies below can help with debt, benefit advice or grant applications for household goods. If you just need someone to talk to, contact Groundwire or the Samaritans


Debt and benefit advice

Welfare Rights and Money Advice Service (WRAMAS)

The Welfare Rights and Money Advice Service provides benefits advice and casework help. This is for vulnerable people on low incomes, who need help with claims or appeals if they’re missing out or at risk of losing a big part of their weekly income. We particularly aim to help disabled people and full-time carers.

Helpline 0117 35 21888.

Open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday mornings, 8.30am to 1pm.

We have seen quick and positive outcomes for many of our Foodbank clients struggling with benefit issues.


Turn 2 us

Turn2us helps people in financial need to gain access to welfare benefits, charitable grants and other financial help

Their website has a helpful benefits calculator to check your benefits entitlement and also grants you may be able to claim.

Call 0808 802 2000

North Bristol Advice Centre

Free and independentadvice and support in North Bristol and South Gloucestershire

Welfare benefits advice

Debt advice

Money mentoring


They can help if you are:

Homeless or at risk of homelessness
You are being evicted or have been threatened with eviction
Being harassed by your landlord or agent
Are living in dangerous or overcrowded housing
Are unable to afford your rent

Shelter’s Free Helpline: 0808 800 4444


Money Advice Trust - National Debtline

Payplan - Free debt help

Please find below services we recommend that may be able to help you resolve your situation.

Anchor 1

Other agencies offering grants


Local Crisis Prevention Fund

Get help if you can’t afford the basics like food, gas and electricity.  You won’t have to pay this back. They also help with household good, for people or families that can’t meet basic living requirements, or who need support to stay in the community. Apply for an emergency payment or household goods through this website.

You can also get a Bristol NW Foodbank online referral voucher from the LCPF.

Discretionary Housing Payments

If you get Housing Benefit or Universal Credit but need extra help with RENT or MOVING COSTS then you may be able to apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment from the Council. Click here for more information.

Wessex Water Grants

Discounts for those on Pension Credit (

If you receive Pension Credit or the state pension is your only income, we may be able to offer you a discount of around 20% off your bill if we provide you with water and/or sewerage services. Apply online.

Assist is help you can get if you are in severe financial difficulty and cannot afford your water bill. (

St Monica Trust

This community fund can provide short term emergency grants of up to £100.  They also offer help with the costs of white goods and furniture etc. (Things not covered: funeral costs, holidays, care fees, bankruptcy fees and gardening costs)


Applicants need to meet all of the following criteria before applying:

  • They have a physical or sensory impairment or long term physical helalth problem

  • Live in Bristol, South Gloucester, North Somerset or Bath and NE Somerset

  • Have a low income with limited savings

  • Are aged over 40


Bristol Charities

Bristol Charities (0117 9300301) has a number of grants that may help Foodbank clients with practical needs. However applications must be made on the Charity's grant application form and must be sponsored/supported by Social Services, a Health Visitor or other similar support agency. These forms can be printed from the Bristol Charities website:

Examples of grants available:

  • Relief in need - White goods, carpets, furniture, kitchen starter packs, clothing vouchers for school uniform

  • Relief in sickness and disability - Wheelchairs, medical equipment etc.

Click on the grant you want to apply for and you can print out an application form at the bottom of the page on the website.

Bristol children's charity

This charity caters for children under the age of 16, who have a BS postcode and are living in conditions of need, hardship or distress. Funds are donated to help these children improve their quality of life. 


Applications are made online at Home - Bristol Childrens Charity

Wheels to Work

Contact our Advice Worker who can provide you with a Wheels to Work voucher for free bus travel if you are looking for work and struggling to afford to get to an interview or training course, or if you are struggling with getting to a new job until you are paid.  Alternatively, Wheels to Work can help with renting or getting money off the cost of a bike.


Or apply yourself online at

Just need someone to talk to?



Chat online through live chat or email 24/7



Call 24/7 : 116 123  free phone number

bottom of page